Though the results of both the massages are relaxing and therapeutic, the techniques used for prenatal massages vary drastically and needs to be performed with utmost care. Unlike generic massages, a pregnancy massage treat involves lighter, gentle and shorter strokes in the abdomen, lower back, and legs. The safety and comfort of the mother and baby are top priorities. Therefore, the massage uses less pressure and easy strokes to provide maximum benefits.
Benefits of Giving Massages at Home
Prenatal massages require a great deal of care and attention. The common belief is that only a certified therapist can give a specialized massage such as this. However, the good news is that you don’t have to be a professional masseuse to give a prenatal massage to yourself or a partner/spouse/family member.
If you have been taking an antenatal class, you would have received some basic training on pregnancy massage techniques. If you are not part of one, you could look up the Internet for different guides that give you a detailed description of how the massage can be done.
Consult a doctor before giving/getting massages during your pregnancy period. If you are giving a home pregnancy massage, research and understand the techniques well. Avoid the massage during the first trimester to eliminate the risk of miscarriage. If there are sores, wounds or existing conditions, do not massage those areas. Immediately report it to the doctor.
With a little effort and care, you could give the mother and baby the best of health, safety, joy and wellness through a prenatal massage.
Roles of pregnancy massage
- It helps your body release endorphins, which are formed within the body to reduce pain naturally.
- Stress is a common feature during pregnancy, and these massages aid in significantly reducing stress; while reducing the stress hormones, it also works on releasing feel-good hormones like serotonin.
- Prenatal massage promotes good blood circulation to the body thereby, relieving edema and swelling in the legs and other parts of the body. The kneading action in the massage helps remove the water retention in pregnant women, which is a major catalyst for swelling.
- The massage is a major mood-uplifter and stress-reliever. It helps keep anxiety and stress levels at bay. Also, gentle strokes on the abdomen relax the baby.
- If sleeplessness or pregnancy-related insomnia is a concern, fret not. This massage enables good sleep, which is essential for the body during the pregnancy term.
- Another major benefit is that regular pregnancy massages prepare the muscles for childbirth and increases the flexibility of the joints.